Tuesday 17 May 2016

Tunesday: Partybus - Culcha Candela


If you've been following this blog for a while, you may have caught on to the fact that I love pop songs with shitty lyrics. If a song is bad, I will listen to it on repeat. If a song features a rapper who can't rhyme or doesn't sound "cool and hardcore", it becomes my favourite part. Maybe it's because I grew up listening to Weird Al parodys and cover albums by The Muppets or The Chipmunks, but give me a terrible pop song and I will love you forever.

I think I discovered Culcha Candela from a "Best of Eurovision" playlist years ago, and on that day I knew I had discovered audio gold. Culcha Candela are a german hip hop/reggae/pop band that sing in English, German, Spanish and sometimes French. Most of the time I have no idea what they're saying, but if their English lyrics are anything to go by, it's definitely not poetry... (my favourite lyric in this song is when the one guy goes: "Enjoy, joy, joy, joy, joy. joy, it is time to enjoy!" but holy moley are their songs catchy! And really, what more do you want from a pop song than something with a good beat that makes you want to dance?

I have this idea in my head that Culcha Candela is the guilty pleasure of all Germans. No one would admit to liking them, but secretly they know all of the words and love it when one of their songs comes on shuffle.

When I was in Berlin I did hear their music on the radio, so I know they're not just a wonderful pop hallucination of mine.


No comments:

Post a Comment